Tuesday, March 15, 2011

There is no such thing as a mistake in paper crafting.

I love embossing folders.  Maybe I should qualify that statement.  I love to collect embossing folders, or so it would seem.  They really are a wonderful invention and allow paper crafters to create so many unique and custom pieces.  So why is it that I rarely use mine?  It's hard to say, but today I decided I would break that trend...which leads me to the title of today's post. 

I cut out my card base and carefully lined it up in the folder and put it through the machine.  It looked great except for the bottom left corner.  For some reason, the impression wasn't fully made so I was left to decide if I should use it anyway or start again.  I mulled it over for awhile as I fussy cut some flowers from my patterned paper.  In the end, I decided to keep the "defective" card base and use my flower to make that mistake disappear.  Some of my most creative work has been created while fixing a mistake.  I'm not so sure this card ranks up there with the best of them, but it certainly worked and totally drew the attention away from the embossing in that area.  It also feels great to know that you didn't waste a bunch of product and have to start all over again.


Supplies:  Paper & Stamp (Upsy Daisy Designs), Pearls (Kaisercrafts), Embossing Folder (Sizzix), Glitter (Craft Supply Store), Glossy Accents (Ranger), Cardstock (Bazzill)




To give the flower a little more interest, I raised it with foam mounting squares.  I added pearls to the flower center and then filled the entire green area with Glossy Accents.  A sprinkling of white glitter over the wet glue gave me just the look I was after.


This next card is another quick and easy one to recreate.  I used a mix of "Vogue" (used above also) and "See You Later Alligator" lines.


Supplies:  Paper, Brads (Upsy Daisy Designs), Card Base (Stampin' Up), Cardstock (Bazzill)

The corduory brads give such  nice texture to the card and you all know how much I love texture.

That's all for now.  Thanks for visiting.

EDITED TO ADD:  Look for this card in the Winter, 2011 issue of Paper Creations Magazine.

5 comments:

Cindy S. said...

Both cards are simply FAB!! You nailed it, as usual!! (I expecially LOVE the green card!)

SiskiyouSue said...

I'm a big believer in serendipity. Your card is a good example of something good coming out of a mistake... Nice.

Marielle said...

these are so pretty Tracey!

Kim Sonksen said...

You are the queen of sophisticated cards...I ADORE these so much and I am right there with you on the embossing folder obsession :)))

Linda Beeson said...

I just love that black and green flower against the white!