Friday, October 22, 2010

A Different Twist on a Halloween Banner

We are in full Halloween mode here now that Thanksgiving is over and it dawned on me that I never really put alot of effort into decorating for any other holiday than Christmas.  As of now, I have vowed that will change.  I dug out my Halloween lights and decided to make a banner for the mantle.  I had initially intended to spell "SPOOKY" with my banner and once I got into it, I asked myself why my banner has to spell anything at all.  The answer was simple.  It doesn't.  So I continued about my business and made 6 completely separate and unique panels for my banner.

Supplies:  Paper, Chipboard, Metal Tags (Best Creation Inc.), Tulle (JoAnn Fabrics), Felt (Basic Grey, Little Yellow Bicycle), Transparencies (Making Memories), Chipboard Coasters & Housese (Maya Roads), Glitter Cut (Fancy Pants), Border Punch (Martha Stewart), Bingo Cards (Jenni Bowlin), Dangles (Heidi Swapp)




To add further interest to my panels, I allowed elements to spill over the bottom and sides.  Above I attached a chipboard piece to the bottom using jump rings.  Below, I positioned the house so that it spills over the left side of the panel. This way I had more room to create my scene.  The fence you see is one of Martha Stewart's new border punches.  I can see this one being used over and over again.



Where I didn't dangle chipboard signs, I added fringes of trim.


I just love this little (I mean BIG) guy.  The Dollarama sells packages of foam shapes that my girls like to scrapbook with.  Lucky for Mommy, there is a chipboard shape in each package.  I snagged this one and covered it with Best Creation's Glitter Cardstock.  The photo just doesn't do this one justice.

I used a half a roll of tulle to tie the pieces together.  JoAnn Fabrics sells it by the roll and I will definitely be needing another black.

So there it is.  I hung it last night before I went to bed to surprise the girls in the morning and you'll never guess what my oldest asked me......"What does it spell, Mommy?"  I guess my creative license got lost on her.  LOL.  Oh well. I learned long ago you can't win them all with toddlers!

No comments: